Friday, December 16, 2011

GOOD HAIR

SO, I saw this pic somewhere on Facebook as was so in love with the volumes that these earrings speak in such few words. I think that as a young African American woman this is a powerful message. We come across so many people in this day and age that know they have GOOD HAIR. I understand that the value of knowledge is important in many aspects and this is HUGE. I had my hair permed at a young age (somewhere around 5th or 6th grade I think - ask my Mom), and she taught me a great deal about hair. I begged and begged for a perm. Not a press ever so often but a PERM!!!! I wanted to be RELAXED so badly. Yes, majority of my classmates had them, but at a young age like that you don't often understand. I'm glad that I did have the experience for years of having being relaxed. My mom was right, I would not like them. Now, Look at us Naturals. I understand that being relaxed or pressed can be easier on parents and the child BUT if I had to do it all over again and I knew what the difference and outcome would be instead of being hard-headed - I would no questions asked stick to my natural hair. I love my people and all the different and exciting ways that we can create our hair. I love my Root's/Heritage and I value the work ethic of everything we have accomplished within our hair whether it be straight, curly, wavy, this pattern, that pattern, shape, size, color, grown from scalp, purchased or what have you - its yours. My wish is that people of color today learn, understand, experiment, and share the knowledge of our history, YOUR HISTORY, and why people think straight is better over our natural hair. Explain that what God has given you is for you. Now, only if I can find these earrings I would be more than happy - HELLO!

1 comment:

  1. Love the article Sam and these earrings are a must have!

    ReplyDelete